Sunday, October 14, 2007

Word Helpful Hints

Throughout ECOMP 5106 I have learned several new pointers when using Word. In addition to my instructor, David Hartranft, showing me some shorcuts while he helped me with problems in class, he gave each of us a handout with helpful hints to use as a reference later.
One valuable hint, for example, is that I learned how to create a table of contents for a Word docucment. Anytime I add a new page to the document, I simply insert a page break, highlight the table of contents, right click on update field and update entire field, and the new page has been added to my table of contents. However, there is an even easier way to create an automatic table of contents (TOC). On the tool bar click insert and click index and tables. I am sure I will use this hint as I continue with my Lesley cources and I am grateful to have learned it early on.
Perhaps the most helpful hint I acquired that will assist me in writing research papers or creating master documents is the use of the paragraph symbol on the tool bar. When I click on the symbol, it highlights all the headers, page sections, spaces between words in the document and much, much more to alert me to any errors in my documents. Page and section breaks are essential for polishing a document. It is very easy to go to the tool bar and insert a new page section and seperate documents.
There are other hints which will help me with writing papers in the future. When creating a heading, it is easy to click on format heading on the tool bar, then click on select format, click styles, and choose a style. Now I know that all heading documents should be in Arial, font 14, and not are bold. Another valuable tip I learned was that all written paper should be in Arial, font 12. Also, I found that if I want to find a word or section or replace a word all I need to do is select edit and select find/replace. When using bullets, I am now able to customize them to relate to the list of items I want to emphasize. I can't wait to use this shortcut the next time I create a new document for my students.
I truly found a plethura of unknown shortcuts when using Word and I am delighted. I plan to show my colleagues and my students these shortcuts as I work with them so that they may benefit from them as much as I have.

No comments: